St George's Chapel
St George's Chapel was originally planned to be the new Sanctuary of the enlarged and reoriented Cathedral as planned by architect Sir George Nicholson in the 1930s but is now the Memorial Chapel dedicated to the York and Lancaster Regiment which formed in 1758 and disbanded in 1968. The 12th (Sheffield City) Battalion of the York and Lancaster Regiment was formed in 1914 and was also known as the 'Sheffield Pals'. Many of its members were killed on 1 July 1916 on the first day of the Battle of the Somme in the First World War.
This Chapel holds many memorials to those who lost their lives in conflict. The wooden stalls (seats) in this chapel are carved in memory of some members of the Regiment and beneath the stained glass windows are three cases containing 'Roll of Honour' books of the York and Lancaster Regiment from 1914 to 1968. The hand-embroidered kneelers which bear the crest of the Regiment were made by the ladies of the Regiment.
The Chapel also commemorates the city's links with HMS Sheffield. There is a plaque commemorating those who lost their lives on the second HMS Sheffield which was sunk during the Falklands Conflict in 1982 and other Regimental memorials to those who served and died in both World Wars.
At the east side of the Chapel is the unique Screen of Swords and Bayonets which was presented to the Cathedral by the York and Lancaster Regiment after its disbandment, in memory of those who gave their lives whilst serving with the Regiment. The swords which point upwards signify readiness to serve whilst the bayonets pointing downwards represent the laying aside of weapons.
The large white ensign (flag) was made by the women of Sheffield for the first HMS Sheffield which saw action in World War 2. The other flags are the Regimental Colours of the York and Lancaster Regiment which were awarded to the regiment during the 19th and 20th centuries and which commemorate campaigns in which he regiment served.
To the west of the Chapel are stained glass windows by Keith New which depict important episodes in the history of the Regiment. One window shows decorations awarded to members of the Regiment such as the Victoria Cross, the Distinguished Service Order, the Distinguished Conduct Medal, the Military Cross and the Military Medal together with their coloured ribbons.
The other windows show four important campaigns:
Salonika - the Royal Tiger Badge of the 65th Foot (1823) and Salonika Bay (1916)
Burma - the green lion guard dog of the temples and soldiers crossing the river to take possession of the temples occupied by Japanese forces in World War 2.
Combined Operations, Europe - Allied Landings of June 1944 with landing craft, tank and infantry and the Polar Bear emblem of the 49th West Riding (the Hallamshires were with this Division in WW2)
Suvla Bay, Gallipoli - Troops coming ashore in small boats (6th York and Lancaster Battalion) and the old badge of the 84th Foot 1793 - 1947
At the foot of the side steps is a bronze anchor memorial by Stephen Broadbent, dedicated to the special relationship between the Regiment, the City of Sheffield and the ships of the Royal Navy which have borne the city's name; it which was placed in the Cathedral in 2000.