St Katharine's Chapel
Today St Katharine's Chapel celebrates the Ministry of women in the Church; however, this part of the building has seen many changes over the years. In the 1700s an extension to the Parish Church was built here, replacing a wooden shed which used to stand on this spot and which housed Sheffield's only fire engine. It has also been used as as a vestry and an organ loft. It was made into a chapel in 1936 in memory of Anna Louisa Burrows, wife of the first Bishop of Sheffield. The screen is in memory of Deaconess Gertrude Western who served the church in its work with women and children in the 1920s - 30s.
The stained glass window above the altar is by Christopher Webb and includes the monograms of the Mothers' Union and the Girls' Friendly Society in recognition of the work done by Mrs Burrows for these bodies. Other images depict the role of women in the Christian story including the Nativity, the two Marys at the tomb of Christ on Easter Day and Jesus in the home of Martha and Mary. The stained glass window in the north wall shows the 'Works of Charity' of the New Testament and is by Harry Harvey; it was installed in 1967.
The three panels - triptych - above the altar are also by Christopher Webb and include St Katharine with her wheel. The rare black oak seat in the Chapel dates from the 15th century and is a sedilia, a special seat for the clergy to use during a service. The carved dogs on the sedilia suggest that this seat may have been a gift to the church from John Talbot, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury.
The nearby piscina (hollow in the stone wall for holy water) in the south wall and the Norman stones in the north wall show us the great age of this part of the building.