Sheffield Cathedral is looking for a new Verger to join the team.
This is a part time role on a shift basis of 20 hours per week over a 7 day rota. The role is based at Sheffield Cathedral and involves assisting the Dean’s Verger to ensure the smooth running of all the Cathedral services, to support clergy in their liturgical duties, assisting in and sometimes leading acts of worship, and providing the first point of contact for visitors to the Cathedral. You must be able to work under your own initiative whilst being a member of a small team.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Verger Team will work closely with the Events Co-ordinator and the Director of Operations to coordinate the operation and maintenance of the Cathedral complex (including the Community Resource Centre and Cathedral Forecourt).
General Verger Duties – Liturgical Responsibilities
- Assist in the creation and holding of a safe sacred space for worship.
- Work to strict time schedules.
- Serving at different types of Communion services, i.e. Common Worship and Book of Common Prayer.
- Preparing all liturgical items prior to the beginning of each service in accordance with the operations manual and ceremonial notes.
- Storage, preparation and maintenance in good order of silver, vestments, robes (clergy, servers and choir), altar linen, service books and anything required for the liturgy of the Cathedral.
- Carry out preparations for all types of services; including weddings, funerals, civic & diocesan services.
- Lead processions as part of services within the Cathedral as required.
- Read lessons as part of services where required.
- Provide support for participating clergy prior to and throughout services as required.
- Lead the morning or evening office in the unexpected or planned absence of clergy.
- Ensure that all collections taken during services, Alms boxes and candles are accounted for, secured and banked safely and timely consistent with the Cathedrals financial procedures and controls.
- Work alongside stewards and volunteers as required to ensure the safe running of a service / event.
- Supervise and lead teams to ensure services and events run smoothly and all participants experience a good welcome.
- Deal with any form of disruption or incident which may happen during a service.
- Clear away and tidy up after services / events.
General Verger Duties – Security, Cleaning and Maintenance
- Open and lock the Cathedral and Centre daily.
- Clean all internal and external areas of the Cathedral and grounds according to the agreed schedule. Monitoring the general cleanliness and condition of the building taking action or reporting as appropriate.
- Carry out minor repairs to the Cathedral fabric as requested.
- Report faults and repairs in the log book taking necessary action and report to relevant person for possible further action.
- Oversee Cathedral and Centre security: monitor the CCTV; test and monitor the fire alarm system and emergency lighting; manage building evacuations as necessary; report all incidents.
- Issue keys and where necessary supervise contractors and others as necessary, ensuring they sign in and that the security of the Cathedral is maintained.
- Advise and assist visitors; liaise with Guides / Welcomers; and deal with enquiries and complaints to ensure a safe and secure environment.
- Deal with disruptive incidents and, where necessary in partnership with external agencies.
- Alongside other members of the Operations Team and Support Services Department to undertake banking of collections and other monies consistent with the Cathedral’s financial procedures and controls.
- Act as a fire warden, being able to operate fire-fighting apparatus and implement emergency procedures.
- Be a qualified first-aider (training provided).
General Verger Duties – Events:
- Act as Duty Verger at concerts and other events within the Cathedral and Forecourt, in order to ensure security and safety.
- Liaise with the Events Co-ordinator with preparations for meetings and other events as required, attending ‘event’ meetings.
- Operate the sound system at events and services.
- As duty verger liaise with external agencies where appropriate.
- Comply with all Cathedral policies.
- Carry out any reasonable request from The Dean, Canons or senior management team. This could include any task deemed to be within your capabilities.
- Maintain a healthy and safe environment for yourself, colleagues and visitors – reporting and dealing with any hazards as necessary.
- Salary - £17,576 FTE
- Pension scheme
- 34 days including bank holiday - pro rata
Applicants are requested to apply by sending an up to date CV and a covering letter, no later than 12 noon on 31 July 2017, to: Mr David Maw, Dean’s Verger, Sheffield Cathedral, Church Street, Sheffield, S1 1HA or via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews will take place week commencing 14 August 2017.